NJMentalHealthCares is New Jersey’s behavioral health information and referral service. Our staff of behavioral care specialists uses their experience and understanding of the behavioral health system to provide callers information and connect them to the behavioral health and services they need, such as: legal, housing, employment, rehabilitation, inpatient and outpatient, self-help and more. Our professional staff also provides supportive counseling, psycho-education, advocacy and telephone case management to ensure every caller is linked to their desired service plan.
The Mental Health Association in New Jersey’s New Jersey MentalHealthCares Helpline also began to accept calls (Monday thru Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. The average answer time for a call is 15 seconds or less.
• 1-866-202-HELP(4357) (TTY 1-877-294-4356) — free, confidential mental health information and referral.
• Live service is provided from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday thru Friday; other times callers may leave a message for a return call the following business day.
• NJMentalHealthCares does not provide crisis intervention. For emergencies call 911!
• Calls are answered by a knowledgeable trained behavioral health care professional.
• They use most up-to-date listing of NJ’s public behavioral health services.
• Callers may search the on-line database.
• A follow-up call and ongoing telephonic case management is offered to every caller to assure satisfaction with referrals.
• Callers can be transferred directly to a desired service; NJMHC Staff can remain on the line until the caller is comfortable.
NJMentalHealthCares is a service of the Mental Health Association in New Jersey funded by the NJ Department of Human Services, Division of Mental Health and Addiction Services.